Friday, November 12, 2010

Chemo, Process, and Cuisine

Joe started chemo at 4AM on Thursday. He thinks they start early so that patients won't be awake enough to put up a fuss. They've got good meds to manage the symptoms. He'll get chemo through Sunday, then one rest day before getting the shiny new stem cells on Tuesday, Nov. 16. One friend said that she "hopes Joe gets stem cells from a donor as witty and sparky as he is!!" I'm afraid this comment is making me think of "Young Frankenstein"... "Young Frankenstein" is in the air. Not wanting to give Joe any germs, we've started the "elbow routine" from the train station farewell scene. Jon Stewart was doing the same thing with his guest, Rosario Dawson, to avoid passing along his stomach flu bug.

Being a Process Guy, Joe's already identified many areas where the system could be improved. Surprisingly, the food's not bad. Looks like food, tastes like food. They even have decent coffee-flavored coffee. Beats the SPAM, Pop Tarts and canned crab meat the stranded Carnival Cruise Lines passengers got.

The flood of good wishes and offers of help make us so happy. Thanks! This weekend I'm going to start to think about how I can take you up on all those offers.

3 comments:

  1. Years ago when a friend had a bone marrow transplant, friends and family started posting a list of his current attributes ( of the witty and sparky, good writer, likes dogs and good food variety) on a message board in his room, then people began adding possible attributes of the new stem cells that might make attractive additions to the mix (speaks Spanish, knows magic, plays the harmonica, ballroom dancer etc). I think my friend is still occasionally wondering if he didn't acquire a couple of new skills along with his new immune system.
    Hope everything goes smoothly and those new little stem cells know how lucky they're going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe:

    Best of luck with the treatment. I like the idea of acquiring new cerebral traits via stem cells. I like the ballroom dancing idea of Cecily's. You and Linda on the telly winning championships.

    Is beer on the therapy list? If so, I'm buying.

    Paul

    From very snowy Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe's current dance partner is "Patient Pal", the IV pole, but I'm practicing up so I can give it a good run for its money on "Dancing with the Stars".

    ReplyDelete