In 1979, Monsanto aired public announcements with this lame slogan to counter bad press about PCBs, which they produced. The phrase comes in handy every now and then. Like today. In order to keep the HVGD under control, Joe gets to take ... you guessed it ... more drugs! They're all in pill form, some huge horse pills, some teeny-tiny-take-seven-at-a-time pills. Yum. Gives Joe an excuse to break out the doctor's knife, a handy little tool that olde tymey doctors used to use to count out, cut and smash pills. Here's an example of one:

Steroids, steroids, rolly-polly steroids, eat 'em up, yum!
ReplyDeleteTo some extent, I've been down this path already, back in 2008. Dexamethasone then, Prednisone now. So far, I can't detect any side effects, although "moon face" (which I did get from the dex,) appetite changes (no evidence so far,) and mood swings ("roid rage") are among those listed. As far as incoherent, raving anger at life and oh, gee, public officials, and hmmm, stupid food products goes, I'm not sure we'll notice any difference. But if I snap at YOU, call me on it.
As Albert, in Walt Kelly's Pogo comic said, "You little rascals is tryin' to ruin my usually calm and normally admired sweet disposition!" (The character was not noted for having such a thing.)
Oh, and by the way, I'm now in a double - blind study (The U really pushes these.) Object is to see if adding another drug (which we'll just call MMF, since I can't remember its actual name) to the Prednisone is useful. After all my rants about scientific methods and trusting the data, how could I refuse? Obviously, I don't know if I'm taking the real MMF or a placebo, and in theory, neither do the docs. (That of course is what double - blind means, not a reference to what I'd be if something -- perish the thought -- happened to my right eye, too.)
ReplyDelete